LEX has extensive experience and expertise in all aspects of human rights law, in particular with the protections afforded by the human rights provisions of the Icelandic Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights, which has legal force in Iceland.
Constitution and Human Rights
LEX has extensive experience and expertise in all aspects of human rights law, in particular with the protections afforded by the human rights provisions of the Icelandic Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights, which has legal force in Iceland. The protection of human rights has evolved significantly over the last two decades, namely as a result of the interpretations of the European Convention on Human Rights by the European Court of Human Rights. LEX’s lawyers consistently work to maintain their expertise in this field and keep abreast of new developments.
LEX has been involved in a number of cases dealing with the protection of human rights, inter alia on issues related to the preservation of the right to property, the freedom of employment, the right to choose not to take part in associations (negative freedom of association) and the right to a fair trial. LEX’s specialists moreover have significant experience in libel and defamation cases, which inter alia, deal with the boundaries between freedom of expression and the right to privacy. LEX’s lawyers have also filed applications as a result of violations of rights protected by the European Convention on Human Rights before the European Court of Human Rights and provided general legal advice on such cases.
- Comprehensive advice on the rights afforded under the relevant provisions of the Icelandic Constitution and the European Convention on Human Rights and possible violations thereof
- Legal opinions
- Representation in disputes with authorities on possible violations
- Litigation before the Icelandic courts regarding possible violations
- Applications to the European Court of Human Rights and representation in the following process before court
The large number of practicing lawyers at LEX means that the firm is able to provide services from specialists in the field each time.
LEX law offices offers litigation, arbitration and dispute resolution services in every major field of Icelandic law.
Choose practice area
- Banking, Finance and Capital Markets
- Competition Law
- Constitution and Human Rights
- Construction, Public Procurement and Tendering Law
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Corporate Finance and Project Finance
- Data Protection and Information Technology
- Employment and Labour Law
- Energy, Natural Resources and Environmental Law
- Environment, Social, Governance (ESG)
- European Law
- Insolvency, Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring
- Insurance and Tort
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation, Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Property Law
- Public Administration, Public Parties and Urban Planning
- Real Estate
- Shipping, Transportation and Maritime Law
- Telecommunication law