Erla S. Árnadóttir joined LEX in 2000 but has practiced law since 1984. She is among the country’s leading experts in the fields of intellectual property law and information technology law.
Erla S. Árnadóttir
Erla joined LEX in 2000 but has practiced law since 1984. She studied corporate law and copyright law at a postgraduate level at the University of Oslo Faculty of Law in 1983–1984, and was a grantee at the Max Planck Institut für Patent-, Urheber- und Wettbewerbsrecht in Munich in 1988–1989.
Erla S. Árnadóttir is among the country’s leading experts in the fields of intellectual property law and information technology law. Among her instructions are preparation of agreements on the construction and distribution of software and on services in the field of information technology, protecting the interests of numerous companies and government agencies regarding the use of intellectual property, litigation of court cases due to breach of copyright and trademark rights, consulting for start-up companies of various kinds and advice on issues concerning protection of privacy.
Erla is a member of the Copyrights Committee of the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture. She has been a lecturer in copyright law at the University of Iceland for several years and has written scholarly articles and been a lecturer on intellectual property rights.
Admitted to practice before:
- The Supreme Court
- The Appeal Court
- The District Courts
- LEX from 2000
- KPMG og KPMG attorneys 1984 – 2000
- Supreme Court Attorney 1994
- Attorney at Law 1986
- University of Iceland, cand. jur. 1983
- Part time teaching in Copyright at the Faculty of Law at University of Iceland from 1997
- Examiner in Information Technology Law at University of Iceland from 2004
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (1985). Tölvur og höfundaréttur. Tímarit lögfræðinga, 35(2), 115 – 124.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (1990). Hugbúnaður: skilyrði og umfang höfundaréttarverndar. Tímarit lögfræðinga, 40(3), 148 – 174.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (1990). Datenverarbeitung und Urheberrecht in Dänemark – die erste nordische Urheberrchtsnovelle im Vergleich, GRUR International Teil, 39(4), 290 – 299
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (2004). Höfundarréttur og afdrif falsaðra myndlistarverka, Ritið (3), bls. 123 – 135.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir (2015). Developments in Iceland since the XIV Nordic Copyright Symposium in 2015, Nordiskt Immaterialt Rättsskydd, 84(6), 594 – 598
- Peter Schønning, Erla S. Árnadóttir, Torkil V. Rasmussen og Jens Virgar Jakobsen (2016). Strejftog gennem den vestnordiske ophavsret. Nordiskt Immaterialt Rättsskydd, 85(4), 390 – 415
- Erla S. Árnadóttir. (2006). Iceland. In Peter Schimanek og Frank-Rainer Töpfer, Remedies and Public Procurement Laws in Europe. (74 – 79). Berlín: Baker & McKenzie.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir. (2008) Immaterialrettens særlige processformer. In Mads Bryde Andersen og Jonas Christoffersen, Det 38. nordiske Juristmøde i København 21. – 23. august 2008 (343 – 349). Kaupmannahöfn: Den danske styrelse for Det nordiske Juristmøde.
- Erla S. Árnadóttir, Lena Markusardóttir and María Kristjánsdóttir. (2019). Iceland – Health and Pharma Overview. OneTrust DataGuidance database. – https://www.lex.is/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Iceland-Health-and-Pharma-Overview-_-DataGuidance.pdf
- Board of Directors of the Association of Icelandic Lawyers 1989-1991
- Managing Director of the Icelandic Law Journal 1990-1991
- Board of Directors of the Educational fund of Icelandic Bar Association 1999-2018
- Fjölís (RRO) Arbitration Tribunal 1991-1993
- Board of Copyright Society from 2006
- Board of Society for insurance law 2002 – 2008
- Alternate member of the Board of Directors of the Data Protection Authority 2001 ( – formerly the the Data Protection Commission) – 2004
- Chairman of the Trade Marks and Patent Appeals Committee 1991-2000
- Copyright Committee from 2006 (alternate member from 1995)
- Member of the Compensation Committee established under Act No. 69/1995 on state compensation to victims of crimes 1996 – 2006
- Chairman of Complaints Committee on Equal Status 2011 – 2018 (alternate member from 1997)
- Chairman of the Ethics Committee of the the Icelandic Society for Information Processing 1997 – 2009
- Competition Appeals Committee 2000-2009 (alternate member from 1998)
- Alternate member of the board of National Gallery of Iceland 2010 – 2012
- Alternate member of The Icelandic Court Cases Review Commission 2018 – 2020