Supreme Court Attorney Valtýr Sigurðsson, joined LEX in 2011 after having, for example, served as a Director of Public Prosecution, Director of Prison and Probation Administration and a district Court Judge. He had a private practice for a while and returned to LEX in 2018.
Supreme Court Attorney Valtýr Sigurðsson started his career in 1971 as a judge’s procurator at the Office of the District Commissioner of Keflavík and then became District Court Judge in Keflavik and Gullbringa-county until 1988 when he became City Commissioner in Reykjavik and then a district Court Judge in Reykjavik in 1992. Valtýr was appointed Director of Prison and Probation Administration in 2004 and Director of Public Prosecution in 2009. In 2011 he joined LEX. He had a private practice for a while and returned to LEX in 2018.
Admitted to practice before
- The Supreme Court
- The Appeal Court
- The District Courts
- LEX since 2018
- Own practice 2012 – 2018
- 2009 – 2011 Director of Public Prosecution
- 1998 – 1999 and 2004 – 2008 Director of Prison and Probation Administration
- 1992 – 2004 District Court Judge in Reykjavík
- 1988 – 1992 City Commissioner in Reykjavík
- 1981 District Court Judge in Keflavík and Gullbringa-county
- 1971 Judge´s procurator at the Office of the District Commissioner of Keflavík
- 2011 Admitted to practice before the Supreme Court
- 1986 Study at the County and Country / District and Surpreme of Munich, Germany
- 1976 – 1977 Studied Legal procedure at the University of Cologne
- 1971 Cand. jur. from the Faculty of Law of the University of Iceland
- 1965 Graduated from the Akureyri Secondary School
- Nordic Languages
- Lecturer on Legal procedure at the Faculty of Law at the University of Iceland 1989 and subsequently on specific assignments until present day, property law examiner ad hoc
- Course theacher at the University of Iceland´s Continuing Education Institution on the composition of declarations of exchange of property
- Court case arrangement, court procedure, judge´s status and their legal terms at the County and Country / District and Supreme Court of Munich, Germany, Lawyers Journal, XXXII, 3rd edition 1987.
- Independence and status of judges in the present and future, Lawyers Journal, XXXIX, 1st edition 1989
- On Contractual Arbitration, Lawyers Journal, XL, 1st edition 1990
- Report on visit to Danish Courts (with Friðgeir Björnsson), Úlfljótur Law Review, 1st edition 1994
- Judge´s determination of legal costs, Lawyers Journal, 2nd edition 1996
- Board Member of the Icelandic Lawyers Association, Chairman of the Board of the Icelandic Association of Judges.
- In fixed arbitration on the distribution of medicine and arbitration under art. 72 of the Seamen´s Act.
- Composed in 1988 with Stefán Már Stefánsson a bill on Contractual Arbitration.
- Assessment Committee 1989 – 1992 on the resolution of claims due to the acquisition of rights for the Blanda power station.
- Valtýr has served on various government appointed committees, including:
Chairman of the Appeals Committee on Disputes between Apartment Owners, Committee to prepare the separation of the power of attorney and judiciary power in the District Court, Computer Committee, Price Settlement Committee, Information Complaints Board, Criminal Law Committee and more