Attorney, Gunnar Vidar, is one of Iceland’s most experienced specialists in the field of capital markets legislation. He joined LEX in October 2010 as partner at the firm. In addition to litigation, Gunnar’s assignments at LEX mainly consist in providing legal counsel to financial institutions, contract negotiation and related services.
Attorney, Gunnar Vidar, is one of Iceland’s most experienced specialists in the field of capital markets legislation. He joined LEX in October 2010 as partner at the firm. In addition to litigation, Gunnar’s assignments at LEX mainly consist in providing legal counsel to financial institutions, contract negotiation and related services. Gunnar also handles cases in the field of natural resources and energy, particularly with regard to contracts and project finance. Gunnar holds an LL.M. degree in Law from New York’s Fordham University as well as a law degree from the University of Iceland and a degree in securities transactions. Gunnar has extensive professional experience of the financial sector as an attorney and as an executive, but in addition to working 12 years at an Icelandic bank, he lived in London for two years, working for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Gunnar has contributed to the preparation of various legislative bills on the financial market and served on the board of numerous companies.
Admitted to practice before:
- The District Courts
- LEX since 2010
- Landsbankinn hf. 2008-2010
- Landsbanki Islands hf. 1998-2008
- Own practice 1997-1998
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) – London 1995-1996
- Ministry for Industry and Commerce – 1993-1994
- Lögmenn Skeifunni 1990-1992
- LL.M. degree from Fordham University, School of Law, New York 1993
- District Court Attorney 1992
- University of Iceland, cand.jur. 1990
- Securities Trading 2005
- Lecturer on commercial law at the Commercial College of Iceland 1989-1990
- Chapter on Icelandic law in Handbuch der Europäischen Aktiengesellschaft – Societas Europaea, 2. edition by Jannott/Frodermann (2014), p. 913-941. Germany, C.F. Müller
- Nominated by Minister of Commerce to implement EU directive on deposit insurance into Icelandic law from January 2017 and sat on a prior committee in this field in 2007-2009. Member of the Board of Icelandic Deposit Insurance Fund 2008-2010.
- Member of a Complaints Committee on Transactions with Financial Firms 2000-2008, as alternate for the most part but as full member 2007-2008. Nominated by the Icelandic Financial Services Association.
- Nominated by the Minister of Commerce to a committee creating the bill on securities trading as well as a banking law committee dealing with licencing and the revocation of licences of financial institutions on the one hand and ownership of savings banks on the other in years 2000-2002.
- Has been a member of a number of other committees in the financial markets and related fields.
- Board of a number of companies on behalf of Landsbanki Islands hf. and later Landsbankinn hf. in years 1998-2010.
- Has been active on board of Stjarnan Basketball team as well as the Garðabær Rescue Team.